Saturday, September 19, 2009

Brooklyn's "New Preschool"

Brookie's First Day

Brooklyn started her second year of preschool on September 1st. She is going to a new school this year, the same one that Jacey went to as a 4-year-old, and is now going 3 days a week instead of 2. I LOVE her teacher and the set-up that she has at her house (converted garage with classroom, playroom, and pint-sized bathroom), as well as her awesome backyard with tons of playground equipment and ride-on toys. Brooklyn is in heaven there and loves it, which makes the long drive to get there worthwhile (it is about 15 minutes away). She is always asking each morning if she gets to go to "New Preschool" that day. She also loves her little buddy Ethan who is in her class and drives in our carpool with us.

Since starting "New Preschool", I have also begun to panic as I realize that Brooklyn is only 1 year away from starting kindergarten! How can that be? As smart as she is, I have discovered that Brooklyn needs a lot of help when it comes to learning to write her letters. The poor girl doesn't even know how to hold her pencil the right way! Since Jacey picked up a crayon and started coloring and writing virtually on her own at a very young age, I guess that this kind of caught me by surprise. Brookie would much rather be playing cars and trains than be bothered with the tedious work of printing letters and coloring in the lines. It is so interesting how my two girls have such different personalities!

Riding the trike in the backyard!

Packing it up for another day!

5 comments:

Scrapbookallie said...

She's darling. I miss those preschool days!

Richins Family said...

Wow, I didn't realize that she was that close to kindergarten, but she is! Time sure flies. I am glad she likes school! I bet her teacher just adores her. She is soooo fun to talk to! :)

The Mitchell Family said...

I miss the "Miss Woosie".

5 ibarras said...

just blame her lack of enthusiasm for academics on the 2nd child syndrome....my first and second are the same way!!! :) it will be interesting to see how Landon will be....

soccerfamily said...

Try having her use short pencils (like the ones you use in golf). Our OT at school gave me some to use with a few of my kids, and it has worked wonders! They are forced to hold it correctly because there isn't enough pencil to hold it any other way. Worth a try...