Friday, April 3, 2009

What a difference a year makes!


A few weeks ago Jacey lost her third tooth, another one on the bottom. It has been almost a full year since she lost her first tooth. and some of you may remember from one of my first blog posts that her experience with the first lost tooth was nothing short of traumatic for her. When she found out that this tooth was wiggly she got a little anxious about it and I was dreading another repeat of last year. One morning before school I noticed that her tooth was getting pretty loose and she started worrying about the possibility of it falling out at school (or swallowing it while eating lunch). I told her what to do if either of those scenarios happened, but told her it would probably be another couple of days till it came out. That afternoon when I picked her up at the bus stop she came running to the car, plastic baggy in hand. She had indeed lost it at school, but the amazing thing is that she had actually pulled it out at school herself (something that was unthinkable last year)! Now she has three more loose teeth, so more money and visits from the tooth fairy are imminent!

Now onto the next hurdle: we had a mouth appliance put on Jacey a couple of weeks ago for her thumb sucking. I hated to do it but she wasn't showing any inclination of giving it up on her own. It seems to be helping but we have caught her a few times with her thumb in her mouth still. If this doesn't work then we have to have the more barbaric, "pokey" appliance put in. Hopefully we can get her to stop soon as I forsee a lot of orthodontic bills in our future!

2 comments:

Hooper Family said...

That's great that she is getting braver. I'm sure that she was proud of herself. Just wait until those lovely top teeth come out!

Lane, Amanda, and Mason said...

The tooth fairy makes everyone want to lose their teeth! Heck I wish I had teeth to lose to cash in for MONEY HAHA! Your kids are getting so big and so cute I love it when you bring them into the bank:)