Wednesday, May 13, 2009

He's Finally Here!!!

Landon Jon Larsen made his debut last Thursday, May 7 at 5:30 pm. He weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs. 15 oz. and was 21 inches long, and he was even born 3 days early! I ended up having an unexpected induction after going into my doctor's appointment Thursday morning. I mentioned to her that the baby seemed to not be moving around quite as much and she decided to send me over to Labor and Delivery for a non-stress test to monitor the baby. After being on the monitor for 30 minutes or so, the nurse noted that he had a couple of heart decelerations following contractions that concerned her. After consulting with my doctor, they decided that it was best to just to induce me and get the baby here. Unfortunately, Brooklyn was due to be picked up from preschool right about that time, and Jon was in the middle of meetings at work. I asked if I could go pick up Brooklyn at school and run her over to a friend's house and also get my stuff from home, and they told me to hurry back. I also had to stop back by my doctor's office on my way out so she could strip my membranes to try to get labor started (by the way, I am not sure I recommend this unless you are really desperate to go into labor--very painful!)

After getting Brooklyn taken care of and getting my stuff, I met Jon back at the hospital. They got me prepped and the doctor broke my water at 1:30pm. We walked around to help labor get going, and then after a couple of hours I decided to try the bathtub since the nurse said this sometimes helps labor to progress faster. I was in there maybe 30-45 minutes and started having major contractions and feeling like I needed to push. They hurried and got me back to my bed and checked me, but I was only dilated to a 7 (this has happened with my other kids as well). The doctor helped me through several contractions trying to help me to dilate. Finally I was fully dilated and could fully push. The doctor thought that it would only take a couple of pushes to get him out since it was my third baby, but I was having a hard time getting him out. The doctor couldn't understand why he wasn't coming and thought that maybe the cord was wrapped around him. In the meantime his heart rate was going down, and the doctor was a little concerned. Finally, FINALLY he came out, and we discovered the real reason he wouldn't come out easily--he was just huge! The doctor and nurse thought that they heard a crack as he came out and thought that maybe he had broken his collarbone, but the pediatrician checked him out and said he looked fine. Thank goodness!

Landon is a very sweet and calm baby as long as he has a full belly and is being held or is in his swing. He doesn't like to be left alone and unfortunately won't sleep in his crib or bassinet. The first few nights we just brought him in bed with us, and then I figured out that he actually sleeps pretty well in his car seat, so the past couple nights that's where he has slept! He actually slept a 4 hour stint last night without getting up to eat, and I feel like a new woman today! We already love this sweet boy and are so glad that he is a member of our family! The girls especially love him, sometimes too much!

Here are some pics from his first few days of life. Unfortunately, some of the hospital pics are a little grainy. We are determined to get a new camera ASAP.

7 comments:

The Mitchell Family said...

Can't wait to snuggle him!!

Christina said...

Oh - what a handsome little guy:) Congrats! I can't believe he was such a big little guy. How big were Jacey and Brooklyn?

Scrapbookallie said...

Nichole,

He is so precious. . . . congratulations. I bet you are ready to come back to work now, huh? LOL

5 ibarras said...

Nicole and Fam, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hooray for Landon, and Hooray for YOU for pushing out that big boy :)
and by the way, you look unbelievable.....that's just not right for you to look that good after just having a baby :)

Hooper Family said...

That little boy needs me to love him!

Esplin 5 said...

What a sweet little boy!! I'm so happy for your family. To me he looks like Jacey. We miss you guys.

Merilee said...

He is tooooo cute!! We can not wait to come down and snuggle him!! We love you guys!!